Relaxation massage brings about a general sense of unwinding in the body and reduces muscle tension. It assists general health and immune function and reduces the effects of stress, anxiety and trauma. Pressure may be lighter or deeper, depending on the receiver, and may be general or more focused on particular muscle groups. Research studies show that touch is essential for health and well being.
This course combines instruction on current relaxation massage techniques and quality of touch with relevant information on the human body. Learn to apply a wide range of relaxation and deeper massage techniques with a focus on quality of touch while practicing the importance of correct body dynamics as a massage therapist. Develop your consultation skills with client questionnaires, feedback and assessment to work with healthy and well people.
Be introduced to all of the body systems, especially the musculoskeletal system where you will experience hands on learning looking at the body’s superficial muscles.
Explore reflexology and aromatherapy and expand your skills with reiki, on-site chair massage, sports massage and hot stone therapy.
Learn how to run a successful massage business ensuring a professional image and safe therapy practices.
- Relaxation Massage Techniques
- Quality of touch
- Long flowing strokes
- Deep tissue massage
- Professional massage therapy equipment and use
- Sports Therapy – Pre & post event massage
- Introduction to Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Massage Setup, Client Assessment and Draping Techniques
- First Aid Certification – a requirement for all practicing health practitioners including massage therapists
- Massage Practice Management – Setting up your own massage therapy practice
- Introduction to Reiki, Reflexology and Facial/Spa Massage, On-site chair massage
- Muscle identification, body landmarks, insertions and relaxation techniques
- Introduction to Surface Anatomy – Identification of bones and muscles
Massage Therapy Related Practicums
- Students will have an opportunity to earn credits through a selection of Practicums.
- These are based upon Massage Therapy learning experiences and skill development and intended to reinforce in-class practical tuition. Practicum’s are assessed through
- methodologies such as:
- Practical Massage Practicums
- Client Information Collection
- Case Studies
- Student Clinic
- Community Placements
- Introduction to Relaxation Massage
- Deep Tissue Upper Body
- Deep Tissue Lower Body
- Massage Practice Management
- Surface Anatomy
- Reflexology, Aromatherapy, Onsite Chair, Hot Stone (Half day each)
- Head, Neck, Facial / Deluxe Massage
- Sport Therapy Weekend 1
- 1st Aid
- Sport Therapy Weekend 2
- Full Body Relaxation Massage
- Student Clinic Experience
Why Choose This Qualification?
- Your Certificate will enable you to practice massage professionally for relaxation of healthy people.
- There are many employment opportunities including: self employment, work within the spa industry, workplace, onsite, corporates, gymnasiums, tourism/hotel industry and health centres.
- This Certificate is a very useful addition to other health/ fitness qualifications, e.g. nursing, physiotherapy, beauty therapy, sports science and personal training.
NZCM students are encouraged to participate in a wide range a practical opportunities to enhance their experience base. The ability to use friends and amily to practice in-class learning is essential with many practicums necessitating homebased study and massage required. NZCM practicums are designed to help prepare students to work in real world environments such as Spas and Massage Therapy Clinics. All practicums contact refers to standard industry practices and processes in all practicums.
- Be over 18 years of age with physical and mental fitness
- International students must hold General or Academic IELTS 5.5 with no band score lower than 5.0, or equivalent
Start / Finish Dates Full-Time Certificate Course
- Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch:
- 1 February 2016 – July 2016
- 11 July 2016 – December 2016
Start / Finish Dates Weekend Certificate Course
Note: The Weekend Certificate Course will have classes for approx 2-3 weekends per month, with a duration of 7 months in total.
- February Intake: 12 February 2016 – 25 September 2016
- May Intake: 6 May 2016 – 4 December 2016
- 30 April 2016 – 27 November 2016
- Click HERE to take a look at the current timetable.
- NZQA approved Level 4
- Full Time option: 22 weeks in class
- Part Time option: 12 weekends in class (plus home study). This is approx. 2 weekends a month for the duration of this 7 month-course
- Plus 30 hours student clinic experience
- Approved for Student Loans for domestic student for both full time and part time options
- Approved for student allowances for full time domestic students only
Tuition Fees for whole programme (22 weeks or 12 weekends): $2,846
Course Related Costs: $732 (Including Massage Table)