Therapeutic massage is an exciting and fast growing health modality, nationally and internationally. This qualification provides practitioners with the ability to assess dysfunction in the soft tissues of the body and to apply techniques for change. Build on your relaxation and deeper massage techniques by applying assessment findings and modifying therapeutic massage techniques to treat a range of clients with moderate soft tissue dysfunction. Learn to apply massage to ‘special’ populations including elderly, pregnant clients, clients with disabilities, chronic or life-threatening illnesses or high stress levels.
Explore advanced techniques of Neuromuscular, Trigger Point Therapy and Myofascial Techniques to treat and manage soft tissue and musculoskeletal dysfunction and disability. Gain deeper understanding of the human body with Anatomy & Physiology, then consider implications when disease and dysfunction present themselves in a client. Experience a hands-on approach to learning many of the muscles, their actions and how to include your findings into treatment planning.
There are many career opportunities including: self-employment, working alongside other professionals in a multi-health practice, e.g. physiotherapy, acupuncture, osteopathy or medical centre.
Other opportunities include ski-fields, gymnasiums, cruise ships, tourism, spas, resorts, hotels, on-site corporate, rest homes and rehabilitation centres.
Includes all components of the NZCM Certificate in Relaxation Massage and additionally:
- Advanced Neuromuscular and Trigger Point Therapy
- Myofascial Techniques to treat and manage soft tissue, musculoskeletal dysfunction and disability
- Massage for elderly, pregnant clients, client with disabilities, chronic or life-threatening illnesses and clients suffering high stress levels
- Client disease and dysfunctions assessment, analysis and modification of therapeutic massage techniques
- Treatment through muscle analysis – Indepth look and identification of Muscles, Bones and Joints
- Psychology in relation to being a massage therapist and working with clients
- Professional communications and business studies
- Anatomy & Physiology: Study of the structure and function of the human body
Massage Therapy Related Practicums
Students will have an opportunity to earn credits through a selection of Practicums. These are based upon Massage Therapy learning experiences and skill development and intended to reinforce in-class practical tuition.
Practicums are assessed through methodologies such as:
- Practical Massage Practicums
- Client Information Collection
- Case Studies
- Student Clinic
- Community Placements
NZCM students are encouraged to participate in a wide range a practical opportunities to enhance their experience base. The ability to use friends and family to practice in-class learning is essential with many practicums necessitating homebased study and massage required.
NZCM practicums are designed to help prepare students to work in real world environments such as Spas and Massage Therapy Clinics. All practicum’s contact refers to standard industry practices and processes in all practicums.
- NZQA Level 6
- 18 Month Full Time Course over 2 Academic Years, NZQA Level 6
- Study in Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch
- 80 hours student clinic experience
- Approved for student loans for domestic students and allowances for full time domestic students.
Start / Finish Dates
- 3 February 2014 – 3 July 2015
- 21 July 2014 – 28 November 2015
- Tuition Fees for whole programme (Year 1): $5,930 incl GST
- Course Related Costs (Year 1) (e.g. Textbooks/Student Clinic Linen and Laundry, Clinic Oils/Wax): $1,098 incl GST approx.
- Tuition Fees for programme (Year 2 Semester 1): $3,167 incl GST
- Course Related Costs (Year 2) (e.g. Textbooks /Manuals): $410 incl GST approx.
- Be over 18 years of age with physical and mental fitness
- 42 credits at NCEA level 3 with 14 credits in two of the following subjects: Chemistry, Science, Biology, Health Studies, Physical
- Literacy requirements – 8 credits at level 2 (or higher)
- 4 credits in reading and 4 credits in writing
- Discretionary entrance available
Why Choose This Qualification?
- Your Diploma will provide the basis for working as a professional therapeutic massage therapist.
- There are many career opportunities including: self-employment, working alongside other professionals in a multi-health practice, e.g. physiotherapy, acupuncture, osteopathy or medical centre. Other opportunities include ski-fields, gymnasiums, cruise ships, tourism, spas, resorts, hotels, on-site corporate, rest homes and rehabilitation centres.